Monday, February 18, 2013

Jabba's Sail Barge or Glamor Gals Ocean Queen

Back when I was a kid, my Mom brought home this giant cruise ship after she went out the get groceries. It was out for trash at the end of a neighbors driveway on her way home. She thought my sister would like it, but it's far to small for Barbies. My sister didn't really have any toys that would fit in it, because there aren't many toys in the same scale as the Glamor Gals. I quickly figured out it worked well with my 3 3/4 inch figures (although the windows are technically to tall).

I used the Cruise Ship with both my GI Joes and Star Wars figures. With the GI Joes, the ship was their Naval Flag Ship. I didn't have the Air Craft Carrier as a kid. When I played with my Star Wars toys the Cruise Ship was Jabba's Sail Barge.


I've mentioned before that my buddy Derek and I used to take photos of "Set Ups" when we were kids. These set ups  rarely happened at my house, but we did play Star Wars almost exclusively at my place.

The tables that the aliens are hanging out at on the lower levels are made out of Construx. These 80's building toys were used to make lots of accessories for my action figures. You may notice the Rancor Keeper and several Gamorrean Guards right under Jabba. There is actually an opening in the floor that leads to that room. If someone fell down the "trap door" the guards would grab the victim and throw them out the back window of the ship to Derek's Rancor Monster. (We combined elements of both the Palace and Barge when we played with the ship)

The last item of note in the photo is my home made Han Solo in Carbonite on the deck behind Leia in Boussh disguise. At Derek's house, on several occasions, we made play sets by pouring plaster of Paris into shirt boxes full of tin foil and sticks. One time Derek's mom game use this great idea to fill a little container with sand. Then press Bespin Han Solo into the sand. Once we removed the figure we poured plaster into the impression. Once the plaster hardened we ended up with our own version of a very hard to find toy.  I may post more about this creation some day.

I reality this is a Cruise Ship that came with more than 50 accessories.  There should be tables, chairs, a shuffleboard game, a heart shaped pool, and railings. I never had any parts to it. That never stopped me or my friends from having a ton of fun with this girl toy.

13 comments:

  1. I would of used it for Star Wars and Joes in my youth too pretending it was the Death Star or the U.S.S. Flag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved Glamour Gals! I have the Wedding set. I never had the cruise ship, but I always admired it. I thought it was really cool. I also think it is really cool that you never let the girl toy stop you from having all kinds of fun. I was like that with my Castle Grayskull and Snake Mt. I never had the chance to own a Crystal Castle growing up, but I totally repurposed those boy toys to be a place for She-Ra and Catra to hang out at. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this posting! I think we all repurposed playsets as kids. Honestly, I wish that I would have had this as a kid! I would have had a blast with this thing. I did use my sister's Barbie Dream House as the Eternian Palace. I would also use the open side sections of that house as a landing base for Cobra when I played G.I.Joe. My buddy and I used his sister's Barbie van as our Turtle van back in the day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember using the Bionic 6 Van (The Mule) as April O'Neil's News 6 van with TMNT toys at a friends house.

      Delete
  4. Very Nice ! I used to use the Weebles Haunted house and all kinds of stuff as props ! You gotta make do with what you have !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once used my moms wicker spice rack as a dual level bridge once for a Batman figure i once had.That's all i got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be early in the morning.I just used the word "once" three times in one sentence.

      Delete
  6. That is awesome!!! Love the story behind it. I definitely remember repurposing toys for both GI Joe and Star Wars

    ReplyDelete
  7. That ship is just begging for a Cobra boarding party.


    ReplyDelete
  8. AhHAHha amazing!
    Used to own many Glamour Gals as a kid. They made great addition to our all male figures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just saw this, man. This looks awesome! I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete