Wednesday, January 9, 2013

DC Universe Squatz

I'm a toy collector (as if you didn't know), but I don't buy a lot of gimmick kids stuff. I stick mostly to well articulated action figures from licensed properties I enjoy. I do occasionally check out something different if it looks fun or comes with some sort of mini-figures.

On a recent visit to Ollie's Bargain Warehouse I saw a few packs of these Squatz. They are DC comic book super  hero mini-figs that come in weird packaging. You unwrap the figure and drop it in hot water to dissolve a fizzy coating and reveal the figures you got. The packaging makes them seem much larger than they really are.


6 comments:

  1. I remember these being in stores but they seemed to have came and went in my area i really don't think they did as well as they would of liked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I picked them up on clearance at Ollie's. They aren't that great. They are kind of a pain to open, and then pointless after that. They do remind me of nesting dolls, and a set of super hero nesting dolls could be fun if they picked heroes of different proportions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there. No I have not received your package yet. Told ya shipping to Mexico is a pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Okay, I hope it makes it there eventually.

      Delete
  4. I've never seen these. They look neat, but there is not a lot of play and display in them. I kind of wonder what the pitch to get these made was like. What was the selling feature for the room to get investors to put their money in on the creation of these toys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling Squatz existed before these DC figures. They were probably someone's idea for the next great think like mighty beans or homies. They only did okay, and then they slapped DC heroes on them to see if they'd sell any better.

      Delete