Tuesday, August 18, 2015

What would be in my Nostalgia-themed gift crate

I recently heard about Man Crates, a gift service website that delivers an awesome manly gift to someone in an awesome wooden crate (complete with crowbar for opening the crate). They offer gift crates based on brewing beer, retro gaming,  and 100 years of candy to name a few crate themes.  This got me thinking... what would be the perfect gift crate for a child of the 80's like myself.

If I was going to create the perfect Nostalgia-themed Man Crate for myself here's a few items I'd include...

1. Colorforms - "window clings" of your favorite pop culture characters in a little box with a backdrop. I had loads of fun playing with my Colorforms Play Sets s a kid. If it was popular in the 70's and 80's it got a Colorfoms set (except Star Wars). I had GIJoe, Ninja Turtles, Spider-Man, Ghostbusters, Garfield, Batman Returns, and a whole bunch of other ones. You could make up a little scene and then rearrange it over an over again. Better than stickers.



2. Licensed Party Supplies - Silly hats, invitations, and paper plates with your favorite characters were a must for any awesome 80's Birthday Party. Check out those rad Masters of the Universe hats and plates from my 5th birthday. Other parties included Transformers, Ghostbusters, GIJoe, and Wuzzles. If you received a man crate in the mail you are probably celebrating something... why not drink of out of a kids paper cup!



3. Plastic Lunchbox - I love the super cool metal lunchboxes of the 1970's but they were phased out very early on in the 1980's for safety concerns. I know the art on the plastic ones was more simplistic and they only had a sticker on one side instead of art going all the way around, but the plastic ones just have a special place in my heart. Plus if you don't want to carry your lunch in it, they are great for storage.



4. California Raisin PVC Figure - I heard it through the grapevine... It might just be due to the fact that I was obsessed with stop motion animation as a kid, but I loved the California Raisins. There was merchandise based on these guys everywhere, but my favorite was always the little PVC figures.



5. Smarties - one of my favorite candies from my childhood. The little plastic sleeve of tiny candies. I used to let them dissolve on my tongue one at a time for the first few and then crunch through the rest of the pack. Loved them! Nerd and Pez might also make it into my personal Man Crate.


6. Nintendo - There would have to be something based on video games. The original NES and later the Sega Genesis were a huge part of everyone's child hood in the 80's and into the 90's. Some people had the systems and lots of games, and other people just had to play while hanging out at a friend's house. So my ultimate Man Crate would include a wallet or something that looked like the original NES Controller.


If you've ever wanted to receive something shipped in a crate or you are looking for an awesome gift for a special guy in your life check out all the different Man Crates. They have a pretty wide selection and I can only imagine they will add more down the road.

1 comment: