Sunday, July 6, 2014

Donatello - - Vintage TMNT

Well, I skipped going out to the flea market this morning because the people from the hay ride wanted me to come up to the farm and work on stuff. We are like 90 days away from the start of the Halloween season. Sorry, no flea market finds this week.

Yesterday after starting the Retro Con commercial Mike, Tony, and I went to a toy shop in New Jersey I hadn't been to in years. I picked up a few cool things, but today I'm focusing on Donatello from the original wave of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. As a kid I was very proud of the fact that I owned every figure from wave 1 of the TMNT line. Unfortunately I sold them all off at a flea market in middle school or high school. So, I've been slowly recollecting them as I find them at flea markets.


My Donatello came with his belt, bo staff (x2), kama (hook weapon) and one of his fist daggers. New in package he also originally had an additional smaller fist dagger and two throwing stars. I'm happy with the Turtles in my collection just having their belts and main weapons.

A fun little side note, this is a soft head Donatello, which means he is form the earliest run of Turtle figures. Once it was known that the Turtles were a hit, Playmates started making the wave 1 figures with hard plastic heads.


Here's a little question for all the AFA readers out there. My buddy Tony was telling me that some people say the accessory pictured above is a pizza slice and that the handle is just there to help the Turtles hold it. The original package lists a fist dagger as an accessory but says nothing about pizza.

Did anyone of you guys use these as pizza slices as a kid? Just wondering... leave a comment below.

7 comments:

  1. That was always a dagger in my eyes but i guess it could work as a slice of pizza for creative kids playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I never thought of it as a slice of pizza, just wondered if anyone else did.

      Delete
  2. I was 16 then and was into TMNT at all. I could not tell ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never had these when i was younger Kevin but i could see someone imagining it was a slice of pizza for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even really played with these small extra weapons. I stored them all in a little plastic container and never thought about them again. Raphael does have a holster on the back of his belt for one of these daggers. A pizza holster would be crazy.

      Delete
  4. I'd say it's some form of Katar dagger (the likes of which Voldo from Soul Calibre uses). I had Raphael and he had one too. I guess it would work as a pizza slice, but I never saw it as one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raph has a holster for his on the back of his belt. Thanks for weighing in on the issue..

      Delete