Saturday, September 22, 2012

Glo Worm & Glo Friends

Glo Worm (Glow Worm or Glo-Worm) was a popular Playskool product in  the early 80's. The original stuff animal / night light had a vinyl head like a cabbage patch kid and a stuffed body that contained a battery pack. This light up toy was so popular is spawned a cartoon and series of mini figures.

These smaller characters were called Glo Friends. They were made of glow in the dark plastic and each came with a little cloth sleeping bag.


My sister and I always enjoyed this franchise together, much like the Care Bears. I have very vivid memories of playing with these figures in our Grandparent's house in Connecticut. They moved to Florida when I was pretty young so I was really little then. 

One thing that was really cool about this line is that I was able to get the characters I actually wanted. With many toy lines I would be missing an important character from the cartoon and it would kind of drive me crazy trying to find that figure.  

I had Glo-Worm who was based on the original toy and was the main character. Glo-Grannybug was the wise older member of the group that took care of everyone. Glo-Bug was an adventures character who could fly.

Glo-Grannybug, Glo-Worm, & Glo-Bug

These figures are one piece with no articulation. They have a decent amount of paint apps, and their paint held up well over the years. The figures are hollow and so are fun to play with on your figures tips as a kid. I'm not sure where the other sleeping bags are, and which figure goes with which bag. I think I had also had a light green and a light pink sleeping bag.

6 comments:

  1. My sister had some of these i think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the glowbug and that was in a green sleeping bag - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a note. I love hearing from people.

      Delete
  3. Even I had a collection of this as a kid.had tried to source this in market few years earlier and coudnt find it.any idea where we can get this now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete